Have you ever dreamed of becoming a Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)? Breastfeed Chicago is excited to offer three (3) partial scholarships for CLC training opportunities in 2018! These $120 scholarships will enable three (3) of our members living in the greater Chicagoland/Northwest Indiana area to receive financial support to participate in a CLC training through Healthy Children’s Center for Breastfeeding. This scholarship amount is equal to the cost of the optional CLC exam on purpose! We hope it will encourage scholarship recipients to take the CLC exam after all their hard work in the training!
Preference will be given to candidates who plan to use their new knowledge to work supporting breastfeeding mothers of color and/or breastfeeding mothers in low-income communities. Open to residents of the greater Chicagoland/Northwestern Indiana area.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through March 30, 2018, and we will update this page once all scholarship funds have been exhausted.
Breastfeed Chicago will provide partial scholarships to members of our organization who enroll in one of three Healthy Children trainings provided locally this year:
- June 11-15, 2018 in Naperville, IL
- October 15-19, 2018 in Naperville, IL
- December 10-14, 2018 in Oak Park, IL
The CLC training requires five days of class from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day. Six hours of homework is completed on one’s own during the training session. According to Healthy Children, “while professional and personal experiences with breastfeeding are of benefit to learners, there are no prerequisite requirements for this program, other than a sincere desire to learn about breastfeeding.”
Breastfeed Chicago will select three (3) applicants to receive a $120 scholarship based on their responses to the scholarship application questions found in the application link below.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for the scholarship, applicants must follow these steps:
- First, each applicant must complete the Breastfeed Chicago CLC Scholarship application here, answering all questions thoroughly, by March 30, 2018.
- Breastfeed Chicago will notify recipients of the scholarship in early April 2018. Please note that the June 11-15 training in Naperville may fill up before we announce scholarship recipients! We recommend staying in touch with Healthy Children about open spots and registering before we announce winners if you are set on that particular training date.
- Enroll in one (1) of the above-mentioned five-day CLC trainings in Naperville or Oak Park, Illinois. Applicants are responsible on their own for all training costs (AND lodging costs, if applicable). The trainer, Healthy Children, recommends that participants wait to make any lodging reservations until training dates have been confirmed after registration. Information about total cost of training, materials, and registration can be found here.
- Scholarship recipients will receive $120 to reimburse them for part of the CLC training and/or exam cost after submitting proof of payment for the training to Breastfeed Chicago.
- Finally, scholarship recipients will submit a brief reflection to Breastfeed Chicago after they complete the training outlining their experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Scholarship application materials must be received by March 30, 2018 to be considered.
More information about the CLC designation:
Generally speaking, CLCs provide breastfeeding support in:
- Maternity units in hospitals and birth centers,
- Neonatal intensive care units and special care nurseries,
- Outpatient lactation clinics,
- WIC programs,
- Visiting nurse programs,
- Maternal and child health services at the state, county and local level,
- Parenting centers, including military family support centers, and
- Physician and midwife offices.
Are CLCs the same as IBCLCs? No. IBCLCs (International Board Certified Lactation Consultants) have a more stringent certification process, including supervised clinical hours, they must complete. Taking a CLC course can be a stepping stone to the IBCLC certification. To find out more about IBCLC pathways, read here.
Breastfeed Chicago envisions a Chicago where all parents know the benefits of breastfeeding and get the support they need to successfully breastfeed their children for as long as they wish. We are confident that our 2018 Breastfeed Chicago CLC Scholarship Program will help three of our members play an important role in providing breastfeeding support, particularly to breastfeeding parents of color or breastfeeding parents in lower-income neighborhoods throughout Chicagoland, in 2018 and beyond.