Part-time Digital Communications Manager
Founded in 2011 by and for breastfeeding parents, Breastfeed Chicago (www.breastfeedchicago.org) is dedicated to removing the barriers to breastfeeding for parents who want to do it. With a vibrant Facebook group of more than 27,000 members, a popular website and occasional events, we connect breastfeeding parents to positive support and local resources, smoothing the path to breastfeeding. For the past six years, we have been run by a volunteer board of directors, and we are ready to hire someone to manage our external communications.
This part-time (10 hours/week) contract worker will help Breastfeed Chicago communicate with parents, business owners, organizations and donors about the great work we’re doing in Chicago. They will also identify opportunities to tell the story of breastfeeding parents in Chicagoland to enhance public understanding and support.
- Boost existing social media outreach with strategic posts and follower engagement opportunities (ex. Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, etc).
- Create an email list and monthly newsletter for followers, sharing program information, requests for support and spotlights of breastfeeding supporters.
- Solicit and edit blog posts about breastfeeding from parents and professionals that feature positive stories and strategies for breastfeeding.
- Maintain organization’s website (training and support available), HTML knowledge is a plus, but not required.
- Design outreach materials like brochures, flyers, and postcards.
- Other tasks as needed.
- Candidates with backgrounds in communications, public relations, journalism, graphic design, copy-writing, non-profit management, or public health preferred.
- 3-4 years minimum experience in organizational communications, non-profit experience preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing, and graphic design skills.
- Extensive knowledge of social media and online communities.
- Familiarity with parenting, breastfeeding, diverse communities, public health issues, and Chicagoland.
- Access to a computer with internet.
Contract staff: $20/hour, 10 hours per week. Funding is available for 6 months with a possibility of extension.
Flexible schedule, work from home, no benefits.
Breastfeed Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply.
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample (blog-type writing sample preferred) to [email protected] with heading “Part-time communications manager” by August 18. Ideal start date in mid-September.